Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Adoptable

I've thinking about adoption lately. My husband and I have recently relocated and have been adopted into the fold of his extended family. I'm watching one of his cousin's little ones they plan to adopt. I'm thinking of the Christian woman and in time, the entire church who adopted me and led me to Christ. I'm thinking how, as a church, we are brothers and sisters by adoption. I'm thinking of being an adopted daughter of God.

The amazing thing about adoption is nobody ever feels adopted. They feel as though they are and have always been a part of it all; at least they should feel like that. If not, maybe we should be investing more into relationships so that feeling is there. My husband has 3 adopted siblings yet I have never heard him refer to them as "my adopted brothers and sisters." They just are, and always have been; and one of the siblings came when she was 9!

My entire life I yearned for a functional, larger family filled with love. At times I feel I've arrived and other times I know there is still work to be done. So, let's adopt each other! I mean, really adopt each other. Invite someone over for dinner you don't know well. Help someone out you aren't very well acquainted with. Take someone to lunch. Take someone's children so they can go out; or better yet, get rid of the kids and do a couple's date. Invest, invest, invest!

"Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies" Romans 8:"23

"For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy adn blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will-to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves." Ephesians 1:4-6





1 comment: