Friday, February 3, 2012

Honesty Helps People


After my post about helping others I started thinking another way to help people is simply by being honest. I am not necessarily referring to say, stopping someone whose money has fallen down and giving it back to them. I am specifically talking about being honest with people during conversation. 

Honesty in conversation interests me particularly regarding mothers speaking to other mothers. First, I must say I have had many great conversations with others mothers and have witnessed others experiencing the same. That being said, I am referring to the other situations I have experienced or witnessed that left me discouraged.

I have been the mother and seen mothers who at their wits end explain to another their frustrations, perceived failures, and fears only to have their feelings of ineptness exasperated. The listening mother gives nothing at all to the lady who desperately needs it; some kind of encouragement, especially using her own life as an example. 

When a mother is in front of you hinting or full blown divulging her struggles as a mother it isn’t the time to act stoic and uncomprehending. It’s the time to say “Oh man, I’ve felt that too! I was so ashamed I didn’t know anybody else did!” When a mother you already know suffers from  ineptness don’t tell her you only feed your kids organic, gluten free snacks while she’s shoving a bowl of goldfish crackers into her babies hands to quiet him down. The examples are endless so I’ll make myself stop, and some of those examples are so much DARKER than goldfish crackers.

Nobody gets blessed from a mother who has all the answers and pronounces them at every opportunity, not even the mother making the pronouncements. Mothers DO get blessed though when there is revelation and honesty during these times. The frustrated mother is blessed because she’s not alone and the other more confident (in that certain area) mother is able to help and keep humble. It’s a win-win! 

"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2

No comments:

Post a Comment