Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Gift of a Changed Perspective

I am watching a tiny baby for the next few weeks and I am grateful God gave me this opportunity. I am very good with babies and pretty decent with 8 years old and up; not so much 4-7 years old. BTW, I have 7 year old twin boys so I assume when they turn 8 it will dramatically change. Ha, ha.


My time with the baby reminds me of the time with my first born. No interruptions. I could hold her the entirety of a nap if I wanted. Feeding took 30 minutes but I didn't care. When she needed something the need felt so sweet and delicate. And, we can't forget the fat thighs, gooshy (is that a word?) skin, and adorable mouth! 


After school I tried to view my children as I had viewed the baby all day. I cuddled, tried to be delicate towards their needs, tried to really look at them, and I told them about when they were babies. One of my boys was embarrassed but I saw him secretly smile. I told the boys I hadn't soaked up as much of them as I had wanted and it made me very sad if I thought about it so I tried not to. One of them said "it's okay, you can still do it." Out of the mouths of babes.


I am not very good at treasuring things. I have to sit down and logically think about and list my blessings. I wish it came more naturally. I guess the trick is sitting down more often to think about them so I can approach life with those blessings in mind. And they are a blessing, even if I'm not great at parenting. Even when I am assured the boys have a conspiracy to fray my nerves and destroy each other. Even if some of it was taken away because of the need to simply survive it. Anyhow, that's what grand children are for right?


Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18


No comments:

Post a Comment